Nights in white cubes pt2



For the White Nights festival 2014 we joined forces with the brilliant Lisa Premke to create Thick Skin, a multimedia installation in Kulturpart, Kosice, Slovakia. Made from 2173 linden seed pods, a 'kinetic sound plinth' and elements from Blind Lemon Jefferson's I want to be like Jesus in my heart, the installation is a meditation on history, death, detachment and our action/inaction in the face of human suffering. The linden tree symbolises justice and the sacred in many central/eastern European countries; it also features on the Slovakian national seal. 2173 is the number of fatalities (2104 Palestinian, 69 Israeli) reported by the UN in the Palestine-Israel conflict which took place while we were in Kosice. Palestine, Ukraine, Lunik 9: the question is, at what point will we take responsibility for the way our world actually is? The lyrics of I want to be like Jesus... are below. 




Pour les Nuits Blanches 2014 nous nous sommes unis avec la magnifique Lisa Premke pour créer Thick Skin, installation multimedia à Kulturpark, Kosice, Slovakia. Comprenant 2173 graines de tilleul, un 'socle sonore cinétique' et des éléments de I want to be like Jesus in my heart de Blind Lemon Jefferson, l'installation est une méditation sur l'histoire, la mort, la déconnexion et notre action/inaction face à la souffrance humaine. Dans l'Europe centrale et orientale le tilleul symbolise la justice ainsi que le sacré; il figure sur le sceau national slovaque. Selon l'ONU, 2173 est le nombre de décès (2104 Palestinian, 69 Israeli) dans le conflit Palestine-Israel - cette guerre a eu lieu pendant nos trois mois à Kosice. Palestine, Ukraine, Lunik 9 - la question se pose: à quel moment (distance?) allons nous accepter notre responsabilité pour l'état de notre monde? Les paroles de I want to be like Jesus... se trouvent ci-dessous. 




I want to be like Jesus in my heart, 1925, Blind Lemon Jefferson 
Lord, I don't want to be like Judas in my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I don't want to be like Judas in my heart. / In my heart, in my. / In my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I don't want to be like Judas in my heart.
I want to cross the river of Jordan in my heart, in my heart. / Want to cross the river of Jordan in my heart. / In my heart, in my heart. / In my heart, in my heart. / I want to cross the river of Jordan in my heart.
Lord, I don't want to be no liar in my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I don't want to be no liar in my heart. / In my heart, in my heart. / In my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I don't want to be no liar in my heart. 
Yes, I want to be like Jesus in my heart, in my heart. / Yes, I want to be like Jesus in my heart. In my heart, in my. / In my heart, in my heart. / Yes, I want to be like Jesus in my heart.
Lord, I want to love my neighbour in my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I want to love my neighbour in my heart. / In my heart, in my. / In my heart, in my heart. / Lord, I want to love my neighbour in my heart.